Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sugar, Aah, Honey Honey You are my Candy Girl

Well, it’s been a while since I last blogged. I don’t know that I really have anything worth writing about, but I felt as if I should make an attempt to let the millions of readers of my blog know that I am still in business. I have a friend who made a resolution to write a post once a week. Maybe I should do that. However, he has a much more exciting life than I do. Hell, I don’t even leave the house (and by house I mean absurdly expensive apartment) some days. Perhaps I can make up a more interesting life for myself…hmmm, what would that look like? It would definitely involve Orlando Bloom, tequila, and a hot tub. You know, I'm thinking that maybe the imaginary life is better saved for another time...a time that comes with a parental warning label.

Now that I think about it, it is at least a little bit lame that I am 25 weeks pregnant and I think I don’t have anything to write about. Perhaps my abdomen o’ baby can give me a focus. Let’s try that:

I got good news today. I found out that I don’t have gestational diabetes. My initial test, which was last week, indicated that my blood sugar was crazy high. The second test, which 30-second measurement of my blood sugar by a One Touch diabetes instrument (you know, like B.B. King and Patti LaBelle advertise for), indicated that all was well. This, of course, led to a third test. It was super fun. After fasting for 12-hours I got to spend three hours in the Quest Diagnostics lab. The test began with having my blood drawn to measure fasting glucose levels measured. Then, I had the royal privilege of drinking the equivalent of flat Sunkist with extra sugar added (yummy!). Following the drink from Wonkaland, I had my blood drawn on the hour every three hours on the hour. In the mean time, I wasn’t allowed to have food or drink, including water…yet, in typical pregnant lady fashion, I still had to pee quite frequently. It was a morning so full of excitement I'm not sure I would be able to handle another one like it. The doctor called with the results this afternoon, which really was good news. Thus, I promptly went out and bought some ice cream. Screw you, diabetes, I’m eating all the sugar I can get my hands on! (Well, not really, but I will splurge a little tonight.)

Well, I think this is long enough to assuage my guilt about not writing, as well as comfort my fans. Tomorrow I am going to this fancy bra shop to get some good maternity undergarments…I know you can’t wait to hear how that goes. Maybe there’ll be pictures.

2 comments:

Andy said...

yay! elizaba's back! it's a good post, very funny...you really should write more. love you,
a

Anonymous said...

This was funny. You write well. Keep the pics. Please. I am really relieved about the diabetes. Write more often. You're good at it.
love,
dad