Sunday, January 29, 2006

Oh, Hallmark, How I Love You!



Tonight we watched the Hallmark Hall of Fame, The Water is Wide. It was so great. First of all, it was based on Pat Conroy's book by the same title about his experience teaching impoverished African-American children on a isolated island off the South Carolina coast. So, how many things are there that I love in this description: Pat Conroy (I even have the cookbook he wrote!), children, and South Carolina. It was so great. And, suprisingly, the actors managed to do a decent job with the Southern accents, which is always a nice surprise. In addition to enjoying the movie, there are all those great Hallmark commercials interspersed throughout the movie. There was a new one tonight about a elementary teacher helping an adult man learn to read. She starts him out with The Pokey Little Puppy, which is awesome, and he slowly progresses. At the end of the commercial he goes home and reads, for the first time, all the father's day cards his daughter has given him. It was awesome!

Also, the Hallmark Hall of Fame offered me the chance to chat with my wonderful friend, Lindsey Wade. She is my Hallmark hero. Way back when when we were in seminary (okay, yeah, eight months ago), Lindsey and I would get together and watch our beloved Hallmark Hall of Fames. And sew quilts by the fireside while we watched ...not really, but it sure sounds nice. Anyway, it was great to talk to her and I am looking forward to seeing her when she comes to visit us...which must happen soon!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Andy said...

I enjoyed watching the movie with ya...It's one of my favorites of the Hallmark variety. Only downside was Lindsey Wade, LTW and Weicher not being there.