Thursday, May 22, 2008

Watch Out Pat Summitt, This Baby Has Your Number

Soooo, on Tuesday we had a sonogram done on the doctor's suspicion that Miss Priss might be a little big. It appears that the doctor's years in medical school paid off. The heavyweight champion of the womb is weighing in at 8lbs 9oz and showing no signs of making her debut anytime soon. (Fortunately, I have since had a friend tell me that the weight prediction for her son was a pound off, which is substantial when we are talking about the difference between 8 and 9 pounds being pushed out of my nether regions.) So, the plan is to sit and wait, which is not my favorite plan. I begged the doctor to go ahead and do something to get this show on the road, but was given an emphatic "no!". Apparently, unless it is medically necessary, this practice does not even consider intervening until 39 weeks in order to allow the lungs to mature as much as possible. I guess this makes sense, being as the lungs are, you know, THE LUNGS. So, we go back to the doctor a week from tomorrow, when I will be 39 weeks and 1 day. I will have an ultrasound the following Tuesday, June 3 and I guess a decision will be made about whether or not to induce, operate, or wait. (All this of course assumes that she doesn't decide to kick it into high gear and show up early...no surprise that this is where my vote lies!)

I guess no matter if she shows up tomorrow or shows up June 5 she's gonna be a big girl. So, my dad and I have started to think about her basketball career. I'm sure Pat Summitt will be retired 18-years from now, but I'm putting out a warning to her now just in case. Baby Girl Acton is going to have some mad skills on the hardwood and she will not be playing in TN orange. (A moment of explanation for those of you who don't know who Pat Summitt is. She is the unbelievably successful coach of the Volunteers women's basketball team. She is the all-time winningest coach in women's basketball and has 8 national championships. She is the female John Wooden.) In the same breath that I turn down Coach Summitt's future recruiting, I will go ahead and put it out there that my daughter would love to play for Duke, Vanderbilt, LSU, or North Carolina, all storied programs. And in case any of you are wondering if UConn and Geno Auriemma is an option, let me direct you to a weather map.

So, even though it is likely that none of the gabillions of newborn outfits that we were given will fit this child, we know that she'll be able to fit into her Air Jordans pretty soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am loving this blog. Could you stay pregnant a little longer to crack me up more?

I can't believe the size of your little one - even if it is a pound off (which is highly likely and I'm suprised your doctor didn't tell you that) she's still gonna be big! Good luck with that!!! Just pray she's in the right position. Brennan insisted on coming out sideways, which made him feel like a 10 pounder! Oh the fun of delivery...and oh thank goodness for the forceps!
Jenn

Andy said...

she also can go to Auburn! :-)

Anonymous said...

Isaac's Grandmother Howard played for UNC, so she may be able to help!

Anonymous said...

I think you should swallow a ball so the pooor little girl can have something to do. Her playing handball couldn't be anymore uncomfortable than her kicking you in the ribs.
Just a thought.
love,
dad

Rob Monroe said...

You could get one of those ping pong balls that are painted to look like basketballs to swallow. Much easier for your dad's suggestion.

Our doctor was off by about a pound last year, but Abby was still a tall baby. It's amazing the difference that a pound can make, eh?