Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Is Your Husband As Supportive As Mine?

Ways the lovely Andy has expressed his love to his oh, so pregnant wife in the last week or so:

"Don't you ever get tired of just lying around all day?" he asks.

"You know, your feet kinda look like morgue feet," he says to me when the circulation of my feet was struggling a bit.

"You big pregnant whale!" Yes, he really did say this.

This one happened a few months ago. We receive weekly e-mails from a pregnancy website that updates readers on the babies status and gives pointers for different aspects of pregnancy. The e-mail that prompted Andy's next awesome remark was at the point where my belly was really starting to grow. The e-mail said something to the effect of "Don't worry about that belly, you'll have your old body back soon enough." So Andy in his supportive way says, "You probably don't want your old body back, do you?" It doesn't matter that what he said was true, he still shouldn't have said it!!!

Now, some of you may be saying to yourself, "I'm sure that in context these weren't as bad as they seem." Can someone tell me a context where calling your 39-week pregnant wife a whale is constructive?

4 comments:

Andy said...

it wasn't really that bad there preggars...er I mean wife :-)

Morgan said...

i will slap andy for you next time i see him.

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Sounds like Cader. He called me "Fatty McPregs" for about the last half of my pregnancy.

Pastor Mark said...

I loved your sermon on Romans. I used some of it in my own sermon a couple of weeks ago. Is there somewhere where I can read others of your sermons?

As a husband and grandfather I too have said things I thought were funny and "dear" and found out later that the comment wasn't received in the since of love and humor I thought I was delivering it in. We men don't understand women but then they don't understand us either. In the end, he loves you so much but doesn't UNDERSTAND how to express it in GIRL ways. Non of us do when we are young, and when we are old no one listens anyway....

Pastor Mark